We are looking for an ambitious Planning Solicitor Support to join our growing team, to be based in either our Birmingham City Centre or Shirley office.
Our specialist Planning team, led by Leenamari Aantaa-Collier, acts for NHS trusts and CCGs, landowners, developers, planning consultants, local authorities and other professionals involved in development. Leenamari is regarded as a national expert in obtaining public authority contributions through Section 106 agreements and the Community Infrastructure Levy, with a particular focus on mitigating the impact of development on population and health. Over the past 3 years, we have built a strong reputation in the Midlands for providing high quality planning advice, and want to capitalise on the opportunities we have and grow our team further. In particular, with the introduction of the Environment Act, this is an exciting time to join us and take advantage of the new developments in law that this will provide.
This role represents an excellent opportunity for someone looking to develop a long-term career in planning, with the successful candidate benefiting from ongoing learning and development. Long-term we hope this individual will be a future leader within the team. Within this role you will be providing advice on all aspects of planning law, including:
- S106 agreements
- Strategic planning advice
- Planning enforcement
- Urban extensions
- Judicial review and public inquiries
- Planning applications
- Environmental impact assessments
- Highway agreements
- Development consent order applications
- Commercial planning due diligence
- Compulsory purchase
- Land assembly matters
As well as focusing on bringing out the best out in our staff and supporting their career development, we pride ourselves on being a firm that genuinely cares for the wellbeing of our staff. Our key focus is to maintain an open and honest workplace where all staff can be their authentic self and enjoy their time at work. In addition, our staff enjoy an excellent work-life balance, with the majority of our people now having hybrid working in place.
Whilst we are ideally looking for someone to work full-time (35 hours per week), we will consider applications from candidates looking for part-time/flexible working arrangements.
What we’re looking for
We’re ideally looking for individuals with 3+ years PQE in planning or commercial real estate, but are interested to hear from any candidates who may be looking to switch their specialism, and have a passion for pursuing a career in planning. As this role will involve contentious and non-contentious planning law, a background in litigation will be beneficial.
Candidates for this role will also need to demonstrate the following:
- Excellent commercial acumen.
- Eagerness to take responsibility & ownership of client relationships.
- Curiosity and drive to learn about new areas of law.
- Focused on ongoing personal learning and development.
- Personal drive and ability to
- Strong networking and business development skills
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent organisational and time management skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and targets
- Excellent collaborative and team working skills
- Excellent IT skills.
We are offering a salary upwards of £40K depending on experience alongside the following benefits:
- 24 days annual leave, plus bank holidays
- 2 additional days holiday are normally provided at Christmas (usually Christmas Eve and New Year’s Eve)
- Option to purchase up to 3 days additional holiday
- 8% pension (4% employee contribution, 4% employer)
- Life Assurance of 4X salary
- Cycle to work scheme
- Employee Assistance Programme & Bereavement Support helpline
- Free flu jabs
- Season Ticket Loans
- Discounted will writing and conveyancing