Our dedicated employment team is able to assist with any employment law issue faced by charities and not-for-profit organisations.
Employment law applies to charities the same as any other employer (please see our employment page under “Businesses”), but with some additional complexities. For instance, most charities have a workforce including volunteer workers. Legal problems can arise where volunteer workers are treated similarly to paid staff and could be judged legally as employees of the charity with consequential rights to claim unfair dismissal, etc. There is also the risk of volunteers being deemed to be workers for the purpose of national minimum wage legislation and other rights. The fact that the employer is a charity will not deter tribunals from making awards of compensation in such cases, which will carry not only a financial cost but also a harm to the organisation’s reputation.
Our employment team has extensive experience of working with charities on all employment law issues. Our employment lawyers have worked with a number of charities and not-for-profit organisations of all sizes, including large charities with internationally assigned employees as well as smaller charities supporting the local community.
Please click below to see details of some of our specific services:
- Free Employment Health Check
- Employment newsletter
- Basic guide to UK employment law
- Business immigration services
We can help you:-
- draft/review employment contracts or policies
- negotiate exits / settlement agreements
- defend Employment Tribunal claims
- defend/fight a High Court claims
- deal with TUPE issues
- handle disciplinary action
- handle grievance
- manage redundancy/restructure programmes
- manage equality and diversity issues
- deal with confidentiality/restrictive covenant matters relating to your staff
- obtain an injunction
- defend a health and safety prosecution
- obtain work visas for employees coming to work for you from overseas
- provide bespoke employment law training to staff/managers
- deal with any other employment matter
Phone: +44 121 710 5815
Fax: +44 121 233 4546
What our clients say
The Wilkes Partnership is a well established Birmingham player offering Clients a credible alternative to the large national practices. The Firm’s strategy focuses particularly on owner managed businesses and on being a second supplier of specialist legal services to PLCs.
– Legal 500